I had already made and posted a “trial run” of the main cake for my recent Civil Partnership when I had a go at it back in the summer but why stop at one main feature when there could be two? So a macaron tower HAD to be included……
I tweaked the cake for our big day but in the interests of sanity I kept it simple:
- adding fresh blueberries to the top to sit alongside the raspberries;
- raspberry purée added to the buttercream;
- a thin layer of blueberry purée over the bottom sponge; grated lemon rind added to the Victoria sponge mix;
- an extra middle layer to each tier that was thinner than its surrounding layers and much more lemony (I wanted a little more height!)
The three tiers (8″, 10″ and 12″) took about 4 hours from start to finish although rather than make the chocolate scrolls I bought them from a reliable stockist: on this occasion I felt life was too short!!
Ideas for further cakes or decorating cakes are on my post here.
A macaron tower! Why not?
The macaron tower took about 20 minutes to assemble with the following flavours:
- pineapple with coconut and lime
- coffee with dark chocolate ganache
- strawberry shells with a fresh strawberry cream dusted with strawberry powder
- blackcurrant shells with a sharp blackcurrant ganache
- pistachio with vanilla buttercream
The recipe, with full notes and FAQs for auccessful macaron making are on my post here.
I had made batches of these macarons over the past month or so and froze them as I went so the tower could be assembled fairly last-minute, using the macarons straight from the freezer, which were fully defrosted by the time the macaron tower was tucked into.