While I sometimes love going “all out” when it comes to decorating cakes, when it comes to Christmas cakes, I tend to go for the simplest of approaches.
This is my spiced fruit cake, an ajusted-over-the-decades recipe, but instead of the almonds on top, this year I have gone for a layer of marzipan and vanilla fondant icing.
The recipe for the cake is here.
The Christmas parcels on top are cubes of cranberry and orange rum fudge, a batch I had made previously and had some left. These were covered in fondant icing. I also made some “candy canes” out of the remains of the marzipan.
I finished the cake with some Royal Icing piped along the top and the bottom, with edible silver and gold balls.
Other festive recipes
A few of my favourite other sweet Chistmas bakes are below
- Christmas cake bites with clementine icing
- Orange shortbread mince pies with macaroon topping
- Spiced chocolate and orange bundt cake
- Mince pies with pistachio Viennese biscuit topping
- Quick and easy walnut & maple syrup pastries